Tuesday, April 6, 2010

One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Writer's block is a condition, associated with writing as a profession, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work. The condition varies widely in intensity. It can be trivial, a temporary difficulty in dealing with the task in hand. At the other extreme, some "blocked" writers have been unable to work for years on end, and some have even abandoned their careers


Ughh so I don't know...I just got back from the beach yesterday and  am all of a sudden useless. I can't think about anything that I want to write about.  I think its because I have wayyy too much already on my mind...like finishing dresses after I get off of work at 6 tonight.


 In fact, I'd like to give a shout out to all of the freelancers and 2 job people out there!  I honestly believe that you should always still do what you love even if you have to do something else to pay the bills as well. I'm lucky enough to have a job still fashion related.  I just wish I had a sewing machine behind the counter!

A good friend gave me a quote that made me laugh and left me feeling a little like Rosie the Riveter post read.



"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.
Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."
-Maya Angelou

This brings me to another topic, (see how it helps to just start typing)...if we, (local artists, freelancers, etc.) really try to promote ourselves and each other, our voice will be heard and seen.  One of the major hills I'm trying to get over is finding people to collaborate and work with.  I feel like one of the biggest challenges as a new and hopefully growing artist is finding people who will support my endeavors and hop on board.  I would love to be able to start a kind of designer co-op that could carry local designers' lines from Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and the surrounding areas. 

 We could also carry pieces by local artists which would furnish the store as well, such as paintings, sculpture, furniture design etc.  Merchandise could also include vintage pieces as well as vintage refab which falls into our category of one of a kind pieces of art!

There is nothing like that here and I really think we have enough people who would appreciate and support such a gem!  There is a place called opening ceremony in New York City that I absolutely LOVE!  Check it out -http://www.openingceremony.us/p107.html  Opening Ceremony carries new and upcoming designers and has carried iconic designers such as Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler, and Rodarte. 

Not only would this project give us a venue to sell our collections, but also provide buyers, scouters, etc. a central location to seek out and find new talent!  We need to get going on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment